G1: soft tissue/visceral sarcoma (G1.1) and bone sarcoma G1.2)
G2: Trophoblastic disease (G2.1) and rare ovarian cancers (G2.2)
G3: rare urogenital cancer, testicular cancers (G3.1); other subgroups may be subsequently identified;
G4: for the NET group, subdomain may emerge in the future (pancreatic, small bowel, carcinoid)
G5: peritoneal (G5.1), biliary tract cancers (G5.2) and anal cancers (G5.3)
G6: in the future, G6.1. Iodine refractory thyroid, and G6.2. Adrenal cancers will emerge
G7: salivary gland tumours (G7.1)
G8: thymic tumours (G8.1)
G9, rare skin cancers, and eye melanoma: Eye melanoma was identified as a subdomain (G9.1);In G10 Brain cancers: it is anticipated that subdomains will emerge (ependymoma, non glial tumours, PCL etc)..
All rare cancers share similar difficulties for their management:
1) Need for an expert pathological and molecular diagnosis performed in reference centers, 2) The need for regularly updated clinical practice guidelines, despite limited scientific evidence,
3) A need for improved communication toward patients, advocacy groups, and general practitioners to ensure proper recognition and prevent delays,
4) difficulties in referal, while outcome is better in large centers with multidisciplinary comprehensive expertises,
5) the need for multidisciplinary management of these patients, involving experts in all key specialty fields: pathology, molecular biology, imaging, nuclear medicine, surgery, radiotherapy, medical oncology, organ oncologist, palliative care, etc
6) The need to develop clinical, translational and basic research dedicated to these rare cancers,
7) The need to exchange scientific information, expertises, and clinical trials, and to refer patients across centers when the complexity of treatment and clinical situations requires.
Health care providers in EURACAN have most often expertise on more than one rare malignancies. By organizing this multitumor integrated multinational network, by centralizing knowledge and experience, medical research, training, and resources. EURACAN will enable a major improvement in the access to excellence diagnosis and treatment for European patients. and unify the avaialbility of optimal clinical practices in the EU.